Toyota Teacher of the Year Award Selection Criteria
The 2012 Toyota Family Literacy Teacher of the Year Award rewards and recognizes the positive impact of teachers who engage families in education, including results these teachers have achieved. NCFL is committed to promoting the winning educator’s successes. Thus, sharing family stories and demonstrating the impact of the grant is a key responsibility of award winners. Applications will be evaluated using the following award selection criteria.
- The grant award must be used to improve or expand the educator’s parent engagement efforts within a family literacy, school, library or community-based organization.
- Winning educators must work for a family literacy program, Title I schools, libraries, preschools or community organizations based in the United States.
- Winning educators will participate in NCFL’s extensive outreach activities to promote their practices and programs; the winner will deliver a speech at the National Conference on Family Literacy that will be held in San Diego, California, from March 25 through 27, 2012; and both will present information about their practices at a Featured Session during conference.
- Award funds must be expended for the program’s family engagement services between April 2012 and March 2013.
- Applications must include written documentation of program/effort continuation (financial sustainability) through 2013 and be accompanied by a budget outlining how grant dollars will be applied to the program.
- Award winners will commit to sharing program and family stories with NCFL on an ongoing basis through December 2013.
- Educators must be nominated by a principal, director or program coordinator/supervisor who works closely with the nominee and has extensive knowledge of the nominee’s teaching strengths, approach to working with families and success/results.
- Applications must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on February 1, 2012, and must be complete.
Winning Award Criteria
We are looking for educators who are passionate about serving families and demonstrating exemplary practices. Specifically, we want to reward educators who:
- Serve parents and children with a strong intergenerational approach to helping them learn together and/or engage parents in their children’s education in innovative ways.
- Exhibit a record of success.
- Have novel ideas for expanding their program to benefit families and/or reach to engage more families.
- Serve communities and families with high literacy and socioeconomic needs.
Apply today! Remember to submit your application no later than 11:59 p.m. EST on February 1, 2012. We look forward to learning about your school or program and exciting efforts to help families. Please contact Brenda Logan at email@example.com with questions about the application process.